Full Version: A reminder

14 Jul 2009
To: ALL

Hi all:

I think we all know that having diabetes makes us prone to a few more problems than people who don't. It can also cause even mild illness to get worse quickly.

I know all this but sometimes we let to ignore it.

This past weekend I was on call with the ambulance (for those of you who don't know, I am a volunteer EMT).

Had a few runs and then just as I went off duty Sunday night I felt a little ill. I suddendly started sweating buckets - I could hardley get my drenched clothes off!

Went and laid down and then felt ill and dizzy - called for hubby to come and help me into the bathroom and the mintue I stood up I was sick at both ends - really sick.

Spent an hour on the toliet and then asked him to call a friend who is an EMT to take my vitals cause I was so weak and feeling so cold.

She came over and stayed with me 45 mintes while I continued to be ill and fianlly said, you are going to the hospital.

Got in the ambulance and my temperature was 95.

Long story short - it was a virus and the dr said being diabetic I just got more sick than others might. Had several rounds of drugs to stop the throwing up and a bag of IV fluid and came home.

No we don't need to go to a hospital or run to our dr every time we get ill but be aware that you might get sicker faster and don't ignore it if you do.

14 Jul 2009
To: Jan (JANICE) [#1] 14 Jul 2009

Wow, Jan, I'm so sorry that happened to you and so glad that you are all right now! It's a kind of scary story, for sure.

14 Jul 2009
To: toneylee in VA (TONEYLEE) [#2] 15 Jul 2009

thanks Tony I am almost back to normal.

I just wanted to remind people, especially those new to this that we already have a compromised system and illness can be worse for us at times.

15 Jul 2009
To: Jan (JANICE) [#1] 16 Jul 2009

Wow. Sorry you had to go through that, not alot of fun.

I agree we should all be aware of what to do when we start feeling ill. We need to have a plan that the dr approves as to what to do when we start feeling not quite right. Last night I got very nauseaus and had been belching some very bad smelling stuff all day long. I drank some ginger ale and went to bed early. My neighbor was feeling the same way so I thought it was something going around. Not sure what it was but I'm feeling better this am.

16 Jul 2009
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#4] 16 Jul 2009

Geri:

Glad you are better. I am worse. Sudden onset of ear and throat pain late yesterday. Saw my PA - she sent out a throaat culture. The swab was negatie but she thinks there is something going on and is concerned.

Lost my voice last night so on orders to stay home a rest a couple of more days.

Bummer.

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum