Full Version: metformin and leg pain

2 Nov 2008
To: ALL

Hello, I recently started taking Metformin HCL 500mg for metabolic syndrome (about two weeks ago) and I have started having hip and leg pain. Is this common? Is it possible a side effect of the medication?

2 Nov 2008
To: eudoramae [#1] 2 Nov 2008

Eudoramae: Some people have complained about muscle pains with metformin. One person said he thought it was because of the med making muscles more sensitive to insulin. He thought it was temporary. Another said it was because of metformin depleting b12, magnesium and potassium from the body. And she recommended taking those vitamins to help. I don't know if any of this is true. It's just what I have read on th blog. Have you told your doctor about it? It might be a good idea.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

2 Nov 2008
To: toneylee in VA (TONEYLEE) [#2] 3 Nov 2008

Hi,
Thank you for your welcome and for the information. I have spoken with my doctor and acupuncturist and I am working on the problem. Just wondering about a connection.

3 Nov 2008
To: eudoramae [#1] 3 Nov 2008

Welcome.

I throw my package insert for my glucophage(brand name of metformin) away so I couldn't read to see if leg pain or cramps were listed as a side effect. I have to take extra calcium, drink more water, and I do calf pumps and stretches all the time to prevent charlie horses. I've never connected them to metformin since I can keep them at bay if I do the exercises. Something to look into though.

3 Nov 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#4] 3 Nov 2008

Thanks for the information. I will try the suggestions you made. Too bad they don't give some of the really practical info on the inserts. Glad I found this site. Eudoramae :>

3 Nov 2008

I'm trying to figure out what doesn't cause muscle pain!

Lets see the Actos went away and so did my ankle pain.

Now my doctor took me off of Lipitor to see if my muscle pain was being caused by that. I have also heard that metformin can cause muscle pain.

My buddy says it is because I am getting old and just have to face it. (fail) I just tell him I am going through my second mid life. (nod)

Honestly though, I think it would take more than two weeks before you would have symptoms.

10 Nov 2008
To: Steve in FL (SKEET4ME) [#6] unread

Hi, I have been using metformin for many years,yes it does cause leg pain and muscle cramps,I did not experience this at first now, however, I am ready to ask my doctor to consider a change, hope she will listen to my reasoning, it would be wonderful to get to sleep and not be woken with severe cramps and discomfort, having neuropathy it is difficult enough to get settled.
I wish you well!

11 Nov 2008
To: CEECEE (CELIACLARIDGE) [#7] 11 Nov 2008

How do you know it is the metformin causing your leg pain and muscle cramps and that they are not caused by other thngs?

12 Nov 2008

I too would like to know why you think that? Side effects usually happen in the first few days or weeks of treatment.

Yes, sometimes long term use can cause problems but I have not heard of this one.

12 Nov 2008
To: Jan (JANICE) [#9] 12 Nov 2008

Hi,I am no an authority on this matter, however, I have researched things that are happening, .ie cramps,feeling of coldness from inside out amongst other things, since these and many others side effects are listed on the information that comes with medication,I also checked Google Metformin, have made an appointment with doctor for Friday and will post again then. Seldom resort to internet research as a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, that is why we (angel) need to discuss our particular symptons with our medical providers, as I am in my 80's whenever it is necessary to visit the doctor I take time to write my questions, this eliminates the memory lapse.

12 Nov 2008

I will be most interested to here how things go for you.

Being on any medicines long-term and then of course over time adding new ones can certainly cause complications.

I sincerely hope your Dr. can provide you with some information and a way to overcome your leg pain.

4 Jan 2009
To: eudoramae [#1] unread

I am new to the forum.
Interesting. I too have been troubled by really bad leg cramps at night. I am on Metformin and 71 yrs. old. Through experimentation I discovered a link with evening snacks that were high in sugar and the cramps. I now make sure I do not have any sugar after 2-3 PM. The cramps have subsided to an occasional foot cramping at night. Having been a scientific professional I had to retest w/ sweets in the PM and sure enough the leg cramps returned. YMMV.

4 Jan 2009
To: woody (BRUCE701) [#12] 5 Jan 2009

You said you limit your "sweets" in the afternoon but don't you have carbohydrates after that time frame? Carbs turn into sugar. My husband and I both have leg cramps at night, he having more than I do. We are both diabetic and take Metformin. We don't eat "sweets" although we have a normal amount of carbs at nights. I've never noticed a correlation between the two. Doctors never seem to have an answer as to why we cramp up. I'd sure like to know in order to prevent it. There are many other theories as to why this happens and it just may be different reasons for different people. I hope yours is the answer for you.

4 Jan 2009

The only times I have leg cramps is when I do not eat enough potasium.

I started making sure I was getting some daily and now have not had the middle of the night cramps for over a year.

5 Jan 2009
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#13] 5 Jan 2009

I, at first, deleted all the carbs after 3PM. I now consume only the low glycemic carbs if any. It is working for me. I do hope it'll work for you. I too received the same non committal response from Drs. :S

5 Jan 2009

As my physician says: "the reason for leg cramping is not fully understood. It can be caused by various metabolic reasons and some mysterious ones." Low potassium is one of the most common causes for leg cramps, it was not mine, my K levels are high normal.

4 Feb 2009

Hello,
I am new to this website. My name is Kate and I am 56 and was dx with typeII in August of 2004 while simultaneously being dx with Lymes disease. I have had marginal success in controlling my diabetes and just started Byetta last Friday. I take it only at night at the suggestion of doc to see how I do. I certainly noticed immediately that I wasn't hungry after the injection. Mild nausea the first two nights now it is less and less. I am also taking Metformin 1000 2xday and 5mg of glyburide in the am only. I had beent aking at night but that stopped when I started Byetta last Friday night. I have had two nights were my bs dropped into the 60's tonight it seems not to be dipping so low.

I also have had two heart attacks in 2006 and take a variety of meds for that as well, including metoporol, lisinopril, isosorb nitrate, Niaspan, symvastatin, baby aspirin and fluoxetine. Plus I am taking CoQ10 300 mg daily, B6/folic acid combo, potassium and calcium supplements and well thats quite enough. I have been overwhelmed in the past in trying to manage my diabetes and have not done very well at times - hence the two heart attacks. I am looking for support and information and encouragement. I am also having to loose 45 pounds I gained since being diagnosed. Prior to the dx in Aug 04 I had lost 100 pounds. Its been an emotional roller coater to say the least.

Also I may have a suggestion about leg cramps - quinine water (Tonic Water) seems to be helpful- just 4 or 5 ounces before bedtime.

thank you for your time

5 Feb 2009

I find this fascinating, all the different possible reasons for leg cramps. I have been getting them in my legs and/or feet. I was taking metformin for some time before the cramps started. The family practice doc just told me to stretch. But I have wondered if it was somehow connected with diabetes as it does effect a lot.

11 Feb 2009

It is interesting that Kate has found drinking quinine water (tonic) to help with leg cramps. I had leg cramp issues that got progressively worse for several years until they were such a major problem that neither I nor my wife could get a good night's sleep. I then took quinine pills for many years with no leg cramp problems.

A couple of years ago the folks in the FDA decided that taking quinine for leg cramps was an off-prescription usage, and banned prescribing quinine for leg cramps. Since that time I have been taking Skelaxin which has basically had almost the same impact as the quinine.

I might have to give the quinine water a try - thanks!

14 Feb 2009
To: CEECEE (CELIACLARIDGE) [#10] unread

I have no cramps but leg pain only in my left foot.It started with col/icy/burning feeling on my ankle about 6-7 months back.Now the calf muscle,thigh and hip muscle feel cold from inside.If I press my left foot in calf,thigh,hip,it feels like electric shock.Some places near leg bone,it is too much.Also,the leg feel weak all the time.It causes weakness in whole body.Right is normal except mild neuropathy.Doctors can not diagnose it as I have strength,normal blood circulation in the leg.I do not know where to turn to.Pain is constant and quality of life has diminished.Started Cymbalta with no results.Just started Neurotin.Any suggestions.

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-59

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum