Full Version: increased nausea, hunger, dizziness on Byetta

2 Sep 2008
To: ALL

Hi,

I am new to this discussion group but I am having difficulty. I take Byetta 10 mg twice a day. I started with 5 mg over a year ago but my doctor increased me to 10 mg. When I first started, I didn't want to eat anything but I was still nauseated. Now, after taking the shot and eating breakfast, I am not only nauseated but I feel hungry within a couple of hours. I feel cognitively dulled or tired in the morning too. My blood sugar is always low in the morning, below 100 and sometimes lower. My doctor said to take the Byetta anyway. I have lost over 40 lbs and am now an average size. I'm wondering if the medication is too strong for me now.

I usually get better after lunch, but not always. My blood sugar sometimes is low, 70 or lower in the morning after breakfast. My A1C is 5.0-5.4. If I wait long after taking the Byetta before eating I get really sick feeling. I have had periods where I thought I would pass out before I was able to eat, especially when my meals are delayed for a while. It is almost impossible for me to take my shot and wait more than 30 minutes.

I am on Fortamet 1000 mg am and pm. I have taken my blood sugar and sometimes when I feel bad my blood sugar is low, but not always.

I have noticed that I tend to feel better when I exercise, but I'm not always able to do that because I work long hours.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I eating the wrong things? If I eat cereal and fruit for breakfast I am sick. If I add a boiled egg it seems to help a little but not always. If I eat a big cooked breakfast, I seem to do better but then I don't want to eat all day and sometimes that makes me feel sluggish. I don't know what to do. I think my doctor thinks as long as my A1C is as good as it is, I am fine, but I feel bad a lot. I am a professional and it is difficult to be so when I feel so bad but I just keep on plugging.

Please let me know if anyone has the same problem with nausea, hunger, and especially the cognitive dulling and the fatigue with it.

My doctor had me try DexCom for a month. After I purchased the Dexcom meter, I found out that you can't take any Tylenol products with it. I have migraines and degenerating discs in my neck and back and I can't take aspirin or NSAIDS due to severe bruising and GI problems so not taking tylenol is a problem.

Thanks for any feedback.

Nancy

2 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#1] 2 Sep 2008

Hi Nancy. I have very little experience but this is a good place to find people who do. Sorry you're having such a rough time. I would definitely talk to your doctor again and if necessary get a second opinion. Don't know if your doc is an endo or not but that might be a step in the right direction.

How long have you been on the 10 pen? How did you feel while you were on the 5 pen? One of the things I learned from this group (I've only been on Byetta one month) is that many people do fine with the 5 pen for a long time without moving on to the 10 pen. I've started my 2nd month now staying on the 5 because of stomach upset. I also take metformin xr (generic Fortamet) - 500 with breakfast and another 500 with dinner. I think that combined with the Byetta has been the cause of my stomach upset.

With your A1c at such a good level I'm not so sure but what I might skip the morning shot one day just to see what effect that might have.

Do you eat to your meter? It sounds like your breakfast is carb heavy and the addition of protein helped with the nausea some. What was your 2 hour post prandial after cereal and fruit? Mine would be sky high. I am very carb sensitive early in the morning. Everyone is different. If you are having high spikes (even if for a short time) they can cause confusion or a disjointed feeling. If you are experiencing wide swings from 70's up to ??? maybe that is contributing to the impaired cognitive feeling. Too many carbs can also cause you to crave more carbs and make you feel hungry. Of course your A1c is low enough to indicate that you are not overdoing on carbs. Unless your A1c is overstated because of frequent wide swings in highs & lows..... or if you are anemic ... of course that should show up in your blood work.

You may have to do more experimenting on your own to see what helps. I would definitely see an Endo. You know better than anyone else how your body feels and what is normal for you. Hope you find what is causing this and that you will share it with us.

Best regards
Abby

2 Sep 2008
To: abbyokie [#2] 3 Sep 2008

Abby,

It took a long time for me to get used to the 5 mg Byetta but I did. Then, that is when he increased it. I am very sensitive to nausea, get car sick, can't ride amusement park rides, experience nausea with vomiting with pain and also to a lot of medication. It is just my body's reaction to things. Believe me it is not fun. I spent my entire labor during childbirth with dry heaves until I got my epidural. After surgery I stay nauseated from the anesthesia for weeks! It is very strange.

I will try to eat more protein at breakfast to see if that helps. I don't see my doctor until November but I might make another appointment. He is an endocrinologist, but appears to pay attention to my lab work and not be concerned about how I feel. I don't seem to have high blood sugars....After two hours after eating, I am usually around 80 or less....regardless of the meal.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll post what I figure out.

Nancy

2 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#1] 3 Sep 2008

Hi Nancy. How long have you been on the 10 pen? It sounds to me that it is too much for you and you might do better going back to the 5 but I also question how you did on that and if your numbers were good on it. Your lows are probably what are making you feel bad as well as not eating right after taking the shot. Many people find if they wait to take it they have more nausea so I would suggest you take it as soon as you take the shot.

It sounds to me like you need to have a snack between meals and shouldn't wait to eat as long as you do. Also since you feel better when you have a chance to exercise it may be because exercise causes your blood sugars to go up afterwards and that boost is what you need.

You are not alone in feeling poorly on Byetta and you have the same problems many people do with not knowing just what to eat and when. That is something we all have to figure out for ourselves because we all react differently. Probably seeing a diabetes educator would help you a lot to work things out.

I would discuss this more with your doctor and see if he would let you go back to the 5 pen. Others have done that and found it works for them and it might be better for you. Good luck.

3 Sep 2008
To: ALL

Nancy:

I think too many Dr. just look at the numbers and don't listen to the pt.

Your lab work is great and if you can maintain that on the 5 pen I would think you should go back to it.

It sounds like you have problems with stomach upset even without Byetta and since Byetta makes that worse it seems the 10 pen is just way too much for your system.

If you can't eat what and when you should then I don't see how this is going to work for you.

Are you eating a high fiber low carb cereal? Adding protein may help.

In the past 2 months I have found I can not tolerate sugar subistitues. Sugar free ice cream makes me ill and my mother made a cheesecake with Splenda and that made me very ill.

Luckily I am not a sweets person so I don't care and just limit my sugars to 13 grams or less, like in dried fruits or dark chocolate.

It's hard to experiment when you are feeling as ill as you are.

Let us know what happens.

3 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#1] 3 Sep 2008

Welcome to the blog.

I just have a few suggestions to see if they will help you out.

First always eat a protein with any complex carb that you eat.

Make sure your cereals have at least 4 grams of fiber. Cereals like Kashi Go Lean or Good Friends. But always eat a protein with it, an egg may not be right for you right now but maybe a piece of leftover chicken, beef, or pork would be a better choice.

Eat very slowly and stop eating as soon as you start feeling full. Then eat a snack again 2-3 hrs later, a complex carb/protein.

The reason I'm stressing proteins and fiber, they may help with slowing your carb spikes and keep you feeling fuller longer. I know it's hard to eat frequently, but I have found it helps me more than anything else. You can eat raw veggies/cheese, 1/2 apple/peanut butter, or even whole grain crackers(look for higher fiber crackers)/cheese.

Have you read the Byetta Basics yet? If not, just go to the start page and look under recommended reading. Might be something there that will work for you.

I also believe in eating more alkaline producing foods to help with the nausea and heart burn problems. I add things like melon, cherries, black olives, and sometimes I will drink distilled water for a few days to help alkalize my body. I have also found that alfalfa pills really help too. I believe all these things can help reverse some of the problems we have with being on Byetta. Hope they help you too.

3 Sep 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#6] 3 Sep 2008

Thanks for responding Geri. I was trying to figure out why I felt so bad when my blood sugar is ok even on the low side. I finally decided that I thought I was dehydrated even though I drink water a lot and also thought my blood pressure might be too low which is a problem I have. I have been on a diuretic for a long time but my skin has been extremely dry and I have been thirsty too. Last night I didn't take my second dose of diuretic. When I woke up this morning, I felt much more clear headed and with energy. I haven't taken my diuretic today and my skin feels better too. I continue to feel well cognitively, I haven't had any nausea either. I did eat some cheese with breakfast which might have helped the nausea.

I appreciate your suggestions about fiber and protein. I do eat a high fiber cereal because I need it for constipation. I plan to get a blood pressure monitor to see if the dehydration and low blood pressure has been a problem. I am on the diuretic for fluid retention but maybe I don't need as much.

Thanks!

Nancy

3 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#7] 3 Sep 2008

I also take a diuretic and blood pressure meds and had to lower the doses after starting Byetta. I think several others have had to do the same. At times I have felt that Byetta acts like a dieuretic but I'm not sure if it is that or just how it works with the other meds. It is good to pay attention to blood pressure because that is of great importance if you take meds for it. And certainly when your blood pressure is low it can make you feel really bad and at times it can seem like it is due to low blood sugar when it isn't. It's good to keep a check on both.

3 Sep 2008
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#8] 3 Sep 2008

I am so relieved to know that someone else has had this problem and has been able to address it with simple medication changes. I guess I am unusual in that my blood pressure has always been low and not a problem, and now with the Byetta it is really low. I plan to buy a BP monitor so I can check it. I'll call my doctor and try to get in next week. Thanks for the encouragement.

Nancy

3 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#9] 3 Sep 2008

I hope your doctor knows your blood pressure has been affected by Byetta. If not please be sure he knows because he may want to reduce it.

3 Sep 2008
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#10] 3 Sep 2008

Susan: That's right! You know, we've been forgetting to remind people that it is common with Byetta to have to reduce BP meds and diuretics and to keep an eye on how they are doing in those areas (not just diabetes meds). *slap self upside head* ;)

3 Sep 2008
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#10] 3 Sep 2008

The last time I went in, my blood pressure was even lower than usual because they commented on it, but didn't make any changes. I have never had high blood pressure, so I wasn't worried about it. I take the diuretic for fluid retention, especially in my ankles. I guess with the weight loss and addition of Byetta, the diuretic is too much causing me the low blood pressure and dehydration.

I have felt better today than I have in a long time. I didn't take the diuretic this morning and I haven't had the dizziness, weakness, nausea and cognitive dulling. I took the Byetta as usual and I haven't had a bit of problem with my blood sugar or nausea. I also have not been hungry.

I plan to discuss this with my physician next week but I'm monitoring my blood sugar and blood pressure. I feel much better!

Thanks for the feedback. This has been so helpful.

Nancy

3 Sep 2008
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#12] unread

Nancy, I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Maybe it is really due to your blood pressure and possible dehydration that was making you feel so bad. I take my diuretic every other day instead of every day. My doctor believes in taking blood pressure meds just to keep the blood pressure lower but I've taken them for a good many years not because of diabetes but because my pressure was high. My husband is also diabetic and has normal blood pressure but also takes blood pressure meds to keep it even lower. He doesn't take Byetta so has no problems.

I hope you continue to feel better. Let your doctor know all that has happened. Many doctors still don't know all the side effects some people have and need to hear about them.

15 Jul 2012
To: Nancy (NANCYT6061) [#1] unread

Yes I have experienced that with Byetta. For some reason it makes me feel sick and I feel hungry to the point of being ravenous. Maybe my lantus is dosed too high? I don't know. I feel I do better without the byetta. I prefer using lantus and novolog.

13 Aug 2012
To: Tim (TIMOTHY1178) [#15] unread

Sometimes medications only work for some people.

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum