Full Version: Frio wallet for Byetta?

14 Aug 2008
To: ALL

Hi. I purchased a frio wallet for my Byetta pen and I have noticed that when I take my pen out of the cooler pouch there is residue on it from the pouch. Some of the gel that is inside of the wallet gets on the outside of my pen. Is that normal or do I have a defective cooler? It is not a lot of gel, just a little. Anyone else experience this? Also, how often do you soak your wallet and for how long? I keep my pen in my wallet all the time to keep it safe wherever I go. Do you use tap water or water from the fridge? Has anyone found that the wallet doesn't keep the Byetta at a safe temp or has everyone had success with the wallet?

Thank you for your input on this.

14 Aug 2008
To: nc_para (NC_PARALEGAL) [#1] 15 Aug 2008

Hi! i like my wallet very much, i just use tap water, and soak it when ever it starts drying out. Also I have never had Gel come out, Some times the pen will feel wet on the outside but no feeling of Gel. Sue

14 Aug 2008

I just bought one about 2 mos ago and love it. Wish I had bought one years ago when I first heard about these Frio pouches.

I use cold water from the tap to reactivate the gel every time I need to use it, and no I've never noticed gel on my pen when I take it out of the gel pak. So far so good at keeping the temps right for the pen but I don't keep it in my purse or out of the fridge all day long. I keep the pen in its box in the butter compartment with a thermometer when I'm at home. I would contact where you bought your Frio pouch and see what they say about the gel on your pen.

14 Aug 2008

I also purchased one after reading about them here. I just got it this week and let it over soak so today is the first day I've actually been able to use it. I carried it in my purse. When I took the pen out this evening there was a dampness on the outside but no gel. I gook it out again just now and it was dry. Maybe it's just from the initial soak??? I'll check it again in the morning.

It's a great way to carry the pen. I keep my house very cool and generally don't have to take the pen with me but when I do it's nice to have a guarantee of coolness.

14 Aug 2008

I believe a poster talked about the Frio pouch and mentioned that you shouldn't keep it in a closed place because it needs air for evaporation. That would mean you shouldn't keep it in a bag so I wonder where you would keep it. That might be why the pen feels wet. I think you need to ask the manufacturer about why the gel comes out. It sounds like there might be a defect in it.

15 Aug 2008

Hi.

I emailed the manufacturer and this is the reply I got.

Good news – your wallet is not defective, but rather it has been over-soaked. Please keep in mind that the crystals hold over 500 times their weight in water and when the wallet has soaked too long, the crystals keep expanding and eventually push their way through the fabric fibers and stitches.

If you completely dry out your Frio®, it will be evident where the offending crystals (that have dried and will look like a powder) are and you can ‘pinch’ them off, being careful not to redistribute them anywhere else – water will reactivate the powder or dust.

I'm glad to know it is not defective. So far I like the cooler very much and have had no problems other than the slight gel on the outside of my pen and I'm glad it is working for the rest of you too.

15 Aug 2008
To: nc_para (NC_PARALEGAL) [#6] unread

Thanks for the info. Good for all of us to know.

16 Aug 2008

I have been using the Frio for about a year and a half now and would like to reinforce the comment about enclosed spaces. E.g. in a bag or any humid environment, the pen will gradually warm up to ambient temperature. I use a small mesh bag for the Frio and the pen is always cool to the touch when I take it out. If not, then there is inadequate air circulation.

30 Aug 2008
To: RM_in_AK [#8] 30 Aug 2008

Three questions.

If you have tried or heard of POUCHO, how does it compare with FRIO?

In what store is FRIO (or POUCHO) sold - or must it be bought online?

Also, what size FRIO will best suit the Byetta pen?

30 Aug 2008
To: notaguru [#9] 30 Aug 2008

quote: notaguru
Three questions. If you have tried or heard of POUCHO, how does it compare with FRIO? In what store is FRIO (or POUCHO) sold - or must it be bought online? Also, what size FRIO will best suit the Byetta pen?

I have not heard of Poucho before.

I bought my FRIO online but here in Alaska, we tend to shop online a lot. Don't remember the vendor but just googled "frio".

I use the single pen model as I was looking for the smallest possible package.

30 Aug 2008
To: notaguru [#9] 30 Aug 2008

If you check out The Diabetes Monitor and go to the Insulin Case website you can order a frio wallet. I bought the one that will hold 2 insulin pens because the byetta pen is larger than one of them.

3 Sep 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#11] 3 Sep 2008

Geri,

Not withstanding your experience, I called the US distributor of the Frio products about 18 months ago and asked about what size Frio wallet was required for a Byetta pen - they actually recommend the single-pen wallet. They claim it will fit just fine.

That being said, after hearing many stories form Frio wallet users, I purchased the 2-pen wallet (the "Duo"). I did this for 3 reasons: #1 - the most common complaint is that people tend to oversoak the Frio wallet and then they cannot get the pen into a single wallet - the Duo provides more room and normally does not have that problem (by the way, I think everyone does this at least once when they first use a Frio wallet - I know I did!). #2 - When I have used my Frio wallet (which is somewhat infrequently) I also stick an armored stream thermometer into the pouch with the pen - that way I know is the moisture in the pouch is evaporating properly and the pen is staying cool enough. #3 - you can actually carry two Byetta pens in an emergency (remember - the Frio wallet does NOT cool enough for an un-opened pen).

As usual, I use the Bass Pro stream themometer that can be ordered online from www.BassPro.com. Just my (somewhat limited) experience.

3 Sep 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#12] 3 Sep 2008

Hey Mark, Good to hear from you again.

I think I read somewhere on the blog about buying the Duo instead of the single, which is why I bought the Duo. I also use the Pro Bass thermometer which I had for the thermos method of traveling. I didn't think to use it next to the pen using the Frio, thanks for the great idea. I usually only use the Frio when I go out for dinner since I just bought it the end of July, but if I go to Vegas the end of the month I will be using it when I go instead of the thermos method. Wish I had bought it before I went to Mich for the 4th of July because I froze my pen while gone(I know I know, should have known better). I had to get an emergency one from my dr until I could get another from insurance.

3 Sep 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#13] 3 Sep 2008

Hi Geri,

I have used the Frio Wallet a few times, but mainly I carry it as a backup unit for my 1/2 liter thermos in case I cannot get ice. I used the thermos method to travel to Arizona and on an extended trip through Canada this summer - always managed to find ice, never needed to use the Frio, but it went with me anyway!

Yeah - I usually stick one of the BassPro armored stream thermometers in almost everything I use to carry, transport or store Byetta - I guess that is somewhat overkill, but better safe than sorry! I cannot put the thermometer in the Medi-fridge micro-refridgerator (won't fit - one pen only) but that usually stays right at 40 degrees. By the way, if anyone would prefer an armored stream thermometer marked in Centigrade instead of Fahrenheit, the stream thermometer sold at Cabelas is marked in Centigrade (Celsius) versus the one at Bass Pro which is marked in Fahrenheit.

For carrying a pen for a "night out on the town" I purchased and have been using one of the Medi-Fridge Micro-Coolers - I find it works really great and I do not have to worry about it getting too warm, or if there is enough air circulation for the Frio evaporation to cool effectively. It is (of course) a bit bulkier than the Frio wallet, but much smaller than the 1/2 liter stainless steel thermos, and it has a carrying strap and a couple of pouches to carry needles, etc.. I have been pretty busy and have not had time to test the Micro-Cooler with remote temperature data loggers, but will try to do so in the near future. The manufacturer claims it will stay below 46 degrees for 10 hours and below 75 degrees for 20 hours. I wil let you know what I find out.

3 Sep 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#14] 4 Sep 2008

Mark, how or rather where do you carry your Frio wallet? Someone mentioned she uses a mesh bag and I assume it can't be kept in a briefcase or tote bag because of the evaporation process unless the top of the bag is left open. I also don't think it can go in a pocket, or can it?

4 Sep 2008
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#15] 4 Sep 2008

Sue,

You are correct about not carrying it in a closed case (briefcase, most tote bags, etc.); it was RM in Alaska who said he carries his Frio in a mesh bag. When I have traveled and used my Frio, I have been carrying a "Starter" Brand backpack as my general carry-on bag (obviously this was for vacation) and the backpack has a couple of small mesh pouches on the exterior for carrying water bottles - I just stick the Frio pouch in one of those mesh pouches and pull the drawstring tight enough to not worry that it will fall out.

I would not recommend carrying it in a pocket because there is a strong potential you would not get sufficient air circulation to have proper evaporation to keep the pen cool; and if the pocket is close to your body, you might still be able to get the pen warmer than the recommended max temperature of 76 degrees.

Frio testing guarantees that it will keep insulin at no more than 26 degrees Celsius - but the problem is 26 degrees Celsius is about 79 degrees Fahrenheit, or 3 degrees warmer thn the maximum recommended temp for Byetta. So...I recommend that you carry your Frio wallet exposed to the outside air, in a mesh bag (or something similar) and not in a closed case or a pocket.

When I travel for business I usually carry on a PC bag and a small wheeled suitcase - In the suitcase I carry my Bi-PAP, my 1/2 liter thermos with my Byetta & ice in it, and frequently a Medi-Fridge micro-refrigerator (that way I do not have to rely on a hotel fridge or honor bar). If you are traveling by car you could simpy leave the Frio wallett out anywhere normal aior circulation can get to it as long as it is not laying directly in the sun.

Hope this helps.

4 Sep 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#16] 4 Sep 2008

So far I haven't had a real need to get a Frio or the Micro Fridge cooler because I either use the thermos or the travel pack I got with Byetta and put in hard blue frozen ice packs but I probably will get one of the other two at some point just to make things easier. I did notice lately that when I use the pack with the blue ice that it gets too cold so I have to leave the zipper open a bit to let in some warm air. I always put in a thermometer just to be sure it doesn't get too cold or too hot. This works well for times I am out for only a a few hours at a time. Otherwise I use the thermos and find it works great.

4 Sep 2008
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#17] 4 Sep 2008

susan,

You have noticed the key issue with the "old" original blue travel pack - it was not designed for extended travel and when you use the blue artificial ice packs you are taking a risk that it will get too cold. We have always stated that the risk of getting too cold is much worse than the risk of getting too warm for a brief period of time. You are very smart to use a thermometer, that is the best thing for everyone to do - manage the temp and you will avoid damaging the Byetta.

Since I have been doing a lot of traveling over the last 2.5 years, I have tried multiple methods and have basically settled on the following:
- For local evening out - I use the Medi-Fridge Micro-Cooler
- For Long term travel - I use the 1/2 liter thermos AND carry the Frio as an emergency backup
- For extended trips where space is not an issue (car travel) and I will be staying in hotels or lodges I use the thermos to travel and take the Medi-Fridge Micro-Refrigerator to use in the hotel - this is a lot less mess than anything (including the Frio)
- For no air-conditioning camping I use the thermos and wrap a pair of the Frio drink coolers around the thermos (basically Frio can coozees)

- If I was limited to only one travel method - it would be the thermos. The perfect example was my last trip in August when I was heading home from Canada. My scheduled trip was to depart Toronto at 9AM to Buffalo, and then catch a connecting flight to Chicago and then on to St. Louis, scheduled to be home by 6PM. What really happened was we sat in the Buffalo airport for 6 hours, then enroute to Chicago we got diverted to Indianapolis and sat on the plane at Indianapolis for a couple of hours. I finally abandoned my flight at 1AM in Indianapolis, stayed in a local hotel, and caught a flight to St. Louis the next day, arriving at 2PM, about 20 hours later than my original schedule. Delays were due to weather, mechanical malfunctions, and airline reservation system disaster (they tried to book me the next day from Indy to Chicago to Arkansas to Dallas to get back to St. Louis) which is why I abandoned my flight (actually climbed down a set of roll-away stairs) out on the tarmac and walked back to the Indy terminal, where I re-booked my own flight for the next day. During all this time I was confident that my thermos was keeping my Byetta at the perfect temp. At the hotel, I just refreshed the ice late that night (actually early in the morning) and I was good to go until I got home the next day.

The moral of this long post is this - when you pack your Byetta to travel you need to prepare for all the unexpected travel delays including weather, broken planes, flat tires, traffic jams, mud-slides, flooding, etc., etc. - the list goes on forever. With the thermos - you are good for 20-24 hours depending on ambient temperature, and all you need to refresh it it is a bit of ice (think a fast-food drink) - in my experience it is the best option for extended travel.

4 Sep 2008
To: Mark_in_MO [#18] 5 Sep 2008

Your discussions about the various methods of traveling with Byetta are very informative and helpful. Keeing the pens in the correct temperature range is important and some people don't know how to do that with good results so reading your comments will help a lot of people to properly maintain their pens.

5 Aug 2013

Several people on this forum state they use a 1/2 liter thermos to store their pens or insulin for travel. How do you keep the thermos cool? Do you put ice and water in the thermos with your diabetes supplies? Doesn't that make the thermos too cold for storage?

Pete
(Lantus and Byetta)

Show messages:  1-20  21-23

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum