Full Version: Greetings - New to Discussion & Byetta

3 Aug 2008
To: ALL

Just started Byetta yesterday and wanted to say hello and thanks for already answering many of my questions. I've had a relentless but mild headache since my first shot and I had a gastric attack yesterday afternoon that would have qualified for the olympics if there was such an event! :-) However, today the headache seems a bit better and I've had no stomach upset.

My primary goal is to keep better control of my bg and get my A1c back below 6%. Officially it's at 5.9% right now but my bloodwork from last week is not in yet and I know it's up for the first time since Dx above 6%. Keeping the damage at bay and protecting my heart, eyes, toes etc. is what matters most to me. I have enough stuff falling apart just due to "old age" I don't need to contribute by neglecting this disease.

From the very first shot my 1 and 2 hr. pp has been in the 90's so I'm pretty amazed at the effect the drug has had on me. I've been on a 3 month tear so to speak and my bg has crept up into the 120 - 130's which is not good. That leaves me with spikes after eating well above 140 so to immediately see that disappear is absolutely wonderful.

In order to have the bg levels I'm now enjoying I would have to eat very low carb at breakfast (about 5) then moderate carbs at lunch & dinner (maybe 30 or so). I find myself now able to actually eat a whole piece of toast with my eggs and bacon at breakfast. How great is that!!! I hope this is not a short lived reaction cause I could learn to love a few more carbs ... especially at breakfast.

Anyone else out there carb sensitive early in the day? Or anyone find they can add some carbs back to their daily intake. I'm pretty happy as you can see.

Again - I'm so glad to be able to read your experiences and learn more about the impact Byetta has on many of you. I'm going now to read some more. Just wanted to jump in and say hello.

3 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#1] 3 Aug 2008

Oops, just trying to get that light bulb off of this thread. Guess I don't know what I'm doing. No surprise! Sorry, it's not that important. :S

3 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#1] 3 Aug 2008

It sounds like you are off to a good start which might have been great if you didn't have the headache and stomach upset.
I believe you will find that with Byetta you will be able to have more carbs than in the past without it raising your blood sugars. At the beginning I was having very few because in the past I never could lose weight if I ate much so pretty much limited them. Then I learned that with Byetta I needed to have more carbs so it would work better and after I added them I started to lose weight. Amazing really because who would have thought more carbs could do that. Still I watch my carbs and don't eat a lot and I make sure I eat very low carb whole wheat bread and cereals. I still don't eat pasta and rice even though there are low carb pastas but I don't care for pasta or rice much and would rather gets my carbs from other sources.

I hope you continue to do well and find Byetta to be right for you. Good luck.

4 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#1] 4 Aug 2008

Welcome to the blog.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I can eat more carbs but I introduced them back in slowly to see how my numbers were. I now eat around 30 for breakfast and lunch and try to stay around 45-60 for dinner.

I'm with Susan as I don't eat pasta much anymore. It's a processed food and I don't like the idea of the engineered Dreamfields pasta at all. I do eat brown rice though. Hope you have great success with the spit.

4 Aug 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#4] 4 Aug 2008

After all this time I still don't really understand the carb count and am curious as to how one determines how many carbs they should eat. I know some people do better with fewer and some with more. Is it only based on how we as individuals react to a certain number according to our blood sugar numbers? Originally I found eating more carbs worked better for me as far as weight loss and numbers with Byetta but now I seem to eat more in general because I am not as careful and I'm thinking of cutting down and seeing what if any difference it makes.

Do you do better with the amount of carbs you eat as opposed to eating fewer? Did you come to the amount you eat based on your numbers?

4 Aug 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#4] 4 Aug 2008

Thank you Geri for your welcome. This is my first time ever to participate in this kind of discussion and I was so happy to find so much experience here with Byetta. You guys have put together a great resource for those of us just starting out.

I've added carbs back into my breakfast now for 3 mornings and both my 1 and 2 hour pp have been in the 90's. I can't believe it. However, last night I added about 30 extra carbs at dinner and I still had 120's at bedtime. Go figure. Think I'll just stick with the additional breakfast carbs for now. Keep the rest down low.

I will on very rare occasions have a bit of dreamfields pasta but it is definitely one of those "pull the wool over our eyes" kind of claims. Last time I ate it I spiked really bad but time before that I had no spike at all. I think I'm ready to give it up all together. I won't miss it.

Have you tried the Nutrition Kitchen whole soy bean pasta? It comes in golden, green and black. I love them all. Sort of an angel hair style although its a bit flat when it cooks. Anyway, I've been eating it with absolutely no impact at all on my bg. I'm one of those people who likes soy stuff and I know it's not for everyone.

I can eat small amounts of brown rice. I also love spelt crackers. I found a "Dr. Kracker" brand at my Homeland grocery store recently and have been buying them regularly. Great with salads or spreads.

Somehow I've shifted this to a carb/food topic. Sorry.

Thanks again -

4 Aug 2008
To: Sue (SUSAN) [#3] 4 Aug 2008

Hi Sue - Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I have read lots of your posts already. Good stuff! Today is day 3 and I got up with no headache - what a relief! And I only had mild and brief nausea yesterday. No upset stomach so maybe today will get me back to normal. Did my shot ...... waited 40 mins. to eat. I rarely get to stay home for breakfast as I help care for my elderly father and I am usually enroute to his home by 7 or so each morning. Today is a treat since my brother is doing the breakfast club for me. Working in more steps to our busy routines can be a challenge.

I feel really good about this now. It helps so much to hear from the voices of experience. Thanks again!

4 Aug 2008
To: Sue (SUSAN) [#5] 4 Aug 2008

If you want - start a new thread under Meals, eating, and nutrition about how to count carbs. Ask a question and see what everyone says.

4 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#6] 4 Aug 2008

I don't eat soy products so I haven't even looked at those pasta products. If they seem to work for you, that's good. I haven't heard of Dr Krackers crackers either, I'll look next time I go shopping. What is their fiber count per serving? Maybe this should be moved to the nutrition section.

4 Aug 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#8] 4 Aug 2008

Thanks - I started a new thread over in the section you mentioned.

4 Aug 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#8] 4 Aug 2008

I know how to count carbs but that is not what I was asking. I wanted to know how people determine how many carbs they need to eat. This is something a lot of people ask. I wanted to know since it may different for everyone how you decided how many carbs to have at a meal. I also wanted to know if it should go according to blood sugar readings and how we react to a certain amount.

5 Aug 2008

Abby - great start - glad it is working so well for you.

I had started reducing my carbs at all meals and making sure they were equal at all meals as I was eating fewer carbs at breakfast and lunch but much more at dinner. I spoke to a dietatican and she recommened keeping them even.

I try to stay around 40-45 per meal and that seems to work the best for me.

If any of you have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance they will provide you with tons of printed info and a person to talk to once a month. Very helpful.

5 Aug 2008
To: Jan (JANICE) [#12] 6 Aug 2008

Thanks Jan, I'm so happy to be here and learn how Byetta is impacting all of you. Today is my 4th day and I've had some really bad stomach upsets ... day 1 and again yesterday (day 3) My headache seems to have subsided though so maybe eventually the sensitivity to my digestive tract will also calm down. I have lost 7 lbs in these 3 days so imagine how that happened! Geeze! I'm making a real effort to stay hydrated plus our temps have been pretty high - 107 yesterday. That just adds to the concerns a bit. I'm not a hot weather person!

I'm happy to be able to add some carbs back into my breakfast. I'm eating between 20 and 30 every morning and having absolutely no spike at all. I seldom had more than 5 carbs at breakfast before Byetta ... maybe a few berries. Maybe because I have always had to deal with the dawn phenomenon my system is more carb sensitive in the mornings. My fasting numbers are always too high and frequently my highest of the day.

When I was sticking to my personal goals I would limit my carbs to 60 per day and had really good results. In the past few months I've let that climb to around 100 per day and while my results were not horrible I couldn't seem to get any readings below 120 .... regardless. The diabetes educator I have access to is a little critical of my self imposed limits but I am happy with them and he has even softened his approach to us low/moderate carbers.

Thanks again for the welcome.

6 Aug 2008

Just wanted to say good morning and it's day 5 for me. Byetta is still working its magic. I'm so amazed although I shouldn't be after reading all of your posts. My fbg this morning was 117 .... lowest it's been in 6 mos. I hope it's not a fluke. I need it to drop a bunch more.

I'm still having stomach upset but I do think it's getting milder.

My to do list today: order Mendosa's book on losing weight with our meds. I guess I didn't expect to really lose much weight. Now I think maybe I can.

Best ---

6 Aug 2008

Hi Abby:

Sounds like you are doing great and I think a reading of 120 is good. 117 at dawn is wonderful. Many people do not see low dawn numbers even on Byetta so I think lower dawn numbers than before Byetta is a good thing.

The stomach upset should calm down soon. From what I have read most people adjust after about 2 weeks so hang in there and try the ginger or sipping coke or whatever seems to work for you.

I still need a ginersnap cookie now and then, did last night.

Keeping in mind we are all different - for me if I do less than 20 carbs at a meal I get sick - so you just have to experiment a little to see what works for you.

6 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#14] 6 Aug 2008

Abby it sounds like you are doing great and getting your fasting BS down is terrific but don't be discouraged if it comes back up again. I have many ups and downs and everytime I think "this is it" and the morning numbers will continue to be good they go up again. But that's me and hopefully yours will do better and stay good.

6 Aug 2008
To: abbyokie [#14] 6 Aug 2008

Since I suffer from the Dawn Effect(higher fbgs) I would love to have a fbg of 117. Glad things are working well for you.

6 Aug 2008

Thanks, Sue, Jan & Geri - I will heed your advice and not be too surprised if my fbg yo-yo's for a while. I've lived with the dawn phenomenon since dx so I understand what your saying. I'm just so happy to be heading in the right direction. I've had pretty high fasting numbers for several months now. My early diligence drove it down to a typical 108 or so but those days have been over for a while. I know it's a simple reaction to the amount of insulin resistance I have. I also know that with weight loss the fat stored in our livers goes first which is a good thing and helps diminish insulin resistance. Byetta seems to be facilitating some of these actions. Thank goodness!

Best -

7 Aug 2008

Abby:

Just keep looking at the overall results - I had a bad week in first part of the second month on the spit and then 2 weeks of not great bg's at another point.

It just happens. Like yesterday I had a good lunch - salad and grilled veggies and small slices of pita bread with hummas and 3 hours later my bg was 192! Had not seen it that high since the start. Later it went down to 119. Go figure.

I imagine that for the majority of us we just have times when our numbers shot up and we can not always figure out why but as long as they come back down and don't go up for days on end I think it's ok.

This am my dawn was 109 so that made me feel terrific and I just try to concentrate on the good numbers and good days.

7 Aug 2008
To: Jan (JANICE) [#19] 10 Aug 2008

Hi Jan - So far with byetta I've not had any day time highs. Your lunch sounds wonderful. I had a strawberry poppyseed salad with chicken tonight. My 1 hr was 104 and my two hour was 83. That's what I like.

I must be still producing some fairly normal levels of insulin each day. I haven't burned out enough beta cells to make it hard to control my numbers. Not that I can't mess them up quite properly. However, I haven't seen unexplained highs during the day. It's at night time when I get in trouble. My liver decides I'm too low and graciously dumps glucocon into my sytem every morning, probably around 3 or 4 a.m. This dawn effect has been one of my main problems from day one.

Even if I were, by some miracle, to achieve perfect control every day it's very likely my fasting would still give me fits! Now, if I lose enough weight and exercise more I will eventually have normal fbg. It's all about insulin resistance. That ugly process we all detest!

I've had two mornings in a row that are better. (117 and 118) I'm pretty happy about that.

Best,

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-55

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum