Full Version: Possible Lantus side effect

18 Jul 2008
To: ALL

I have type I diabetes and have been on Lantus for approx 3 years. I have also had muscle pain and joint pain for the same amount of time. My MD discontinued my other meds at different intervals to make sure it wasn't related to them. Recently I was taken off Lantus and put on a pump using humalog. Within 3 dayw of stopping the lantus the muscle and joint pain went away. Has anyone else had this issue?

18 Jul 2008
To: karen (KJGAILLARD) [#1] unread

I didn't have as big a problem with Lantus as far as aches and pains but I sure did when I tried Levemir. My numbers were never that great on Lantus so we decided to see if I would have better success with Levemir. My numbers did go down but the pain became unbearable. My endo doesn't think they are related but it was a co-incidence that can't be overlooked. I will never go back on either one of the long acting insulins again.

18 Sep 2008
To: Geri in Co:Victoza(3-10) (GERI) [#2] 18 Sep 2008

Hi Geri, wonder if that explains the pain in my joints in the arms? I was thinking it might be the 10pen. I did not have that on Lantus, but no good numbers towards the end of stopping it.
Tin_Tan in Mi., 9-18-08, Byetta 10x2, Metformin 1000x2, Levemir 20units p.m. and 15 units a.m.

23 Nov 2012
To: ALL

You don't say if you have cardiac issues. People on statin drugs have similar muscle and nerve pain issues which have recently been acknowledged as side effects of the statins. Co-enzyme Q10 is recommended to alleviate the side effects. It is a naturally occuring enzyme in the body which is depleted by the statins. It may work for the insulin effects too. I am on Lantus and take coQ10 (for short) for the statin issues and have alleviated all those kinds of pain. Talk to the doctor. It's over the counter and a little pricey but well worth it. Liz Diabetes diagnosis 2002, heart disease 1996. Diabetes meds Lantus solostar and glipizide.

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum