Full Version: Once-A-Week Byetta Is Approved!

28 Jan 2012
To: ALL

The once-a-week version of Byetta, called Bydureon, received FDA approval for use in the USA on Friday 1/27/12. Additional initial information is here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204573704577187600650286634.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/health/bydureon-a-diabetes-drug-from-amylin-wins-fda-approval.html

I am looking forward to trying Bydureon just as soon as I finish most of my current multi-month supply of Byetta (it is just too expensive to throw away!). I see my endocrinologist in April and will definitely ask for a prescription for Bydureon. ;-)

If anyone starts using Bydureon in the next couple of months, please post your results on this discussion board. There are many Byetta users who will be very interested in your initial results.

Thanks,

28 Jan 2012
To: Mark_in_MO [#1] 28 Jan 2012

Just... YAY!! :)

28 Jan 2012

Just a little more information: http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/diabetes-news/12072

Note that as currently approved, you will have to "mix" the Bydureon before using it; but there are plans to have a Bydureon pen approved 9-12 months out. So late 2012 or early 2013 Bydureon should be available in an easy-to-use pen format.

28 Jan 2012

Thank you for tracking the progress and posting this. I will definitely talk to my doctor about this at my next visit. (Also not until March or April)

Richard

8 Feb 2012

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=p5rXLSA_2b35zbk8dqM5QqPQ_3d_3d Hi, I am a Type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed at 9 months old and am doing some research on hypoglycemia and would like to see if anyone would be willing to take this survey above so i can gater some information about my report. I would really appreciate it, Chris

17 Apr 2012

I am starting Bydureon in about four days. Replacing Victoza. Insurance covered it 100% and their cost is less than the Victoza.

18 Apr 2012

Congratulations! I would greatly appreciate you keeping us informed about the results you experience using the once-a-week Bydureon shots.

I will see my endocrinologist at the end of this month, and plan to discuss switching from regular Byetta to Bydureon. Since I am recovering from 2 serious surgeries (both during 1st Qtr 2012), my other doctors recommend not changing multiple things when recovery is still in progress. When I pushed them and asked if they were stating that I should not switch to Bydureon, both surgeons stated they were not saying "don't do it" but they both were saying "our recommendation is continue existing stable medication routines until after all surgical recovery is complete" So, I may still have to wait a while longer (Grrrrr!!!!!!).

I would love to hear how the change works for you if you are willing to post info. If I remember correctly, you were on Byetta and switched to Victoza; if correct, why did you switch from Byetta to Victoza? Was it effectiveness of the medication or issues with Byetta side effects, or some other reason?

Good luck with the Bydureon, and I will be looking for your posts. Thanks,

19 Apr 2012
To: Mark_in_MO [#13] 20 Apr 2012

The only reason for switching from Byetta to Victoza was the once per day shot. That way I could just leave it at home and not have to bring it with me if going out for dinner. For me, Byetta was more effective than Victoza as my A1C went up several tenths and my after meal averages were higher.

I will be sure to post my experiences...

20 Apr 2012
To: RM_in_AK [#15] 20 Apr 2012

Thanks for the quick reply. As I previously posted, I go see my endo in 10 days, and I am going to push him to switch me to the Bydureon if possible.
Looking forward to your initial experience with the once-a-week. Thanks,

20 Apr 2012
To: Mark_in_MO [#13] 20 Apr 2012

Hi Mark. I'm sorry to read that you had to undergo two surgeries recently. I hope you are recovering well and can soon try Bydureon. I know you are anxious to try it but I think your doctors are playing it safe by suggesting you wait a little longer before you make the switch. Having been on Byetta so long I'd think waiting a bit longer wouldn't be too much of a burden.

I have to admit I find the two shots of Byetta a day annoying, particularly the one with dinner and worrying about taking it along when I eat out and also keeping it at a good temperature while carrying it. Having said that, I'm not rushing into trying Bydureon until it's been around a while longer. That's just me as I tend to be cautious about things.

Take care and good luck with the Bydureon when you change over.

Sue

20 Apr 2012

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the concern. Getting older can be tough - but it sure beats the alternative by a long shot!

I am recovering from a foot surgery that has been slow to heal due to a setback when it developed a staph infection (staph seems to be almost common in practically every hospital anymore!).

The 2nd surgery was a total knee replacement. The knee rehab is going well, but it just takes time....I have started driving but no golf or outdoor activities, and stairs are still a bit of a bother.

Oh well, like I said, it still beats the alternative! ;-) Hope you are doing well.

20 Apr 2012
To: RM_in_AK [#11] 20 Apr 2012

I have been on Bydureon once a week Byetta now for 4 week this saturday
and I am haveing all kinds of troubles with control of my BS it has gone as high as 385 and the Doc says it can take up to 7 weeks for it to become fully effective. Now my sugars only stay this high for a few hours but It sure makes me feel bad.

23 Apr 2012

I must be very lucky. For me, Bydureon seems to be working like Byetta did. It feels very familiar. Right after I took it last Friday evening, the rather familiar light nausea was there which indicated that I had probably had a bit too much dinner. Since then, no naseau.

My BG numbers are down with before meal averaging around 100 and two hours after meals around 110. Granted that these are my numbers for only the last couple of days though normally, my numbers zre usually much higher while travelling, as I am right now. This is much better than when I was taking Victoza where my long term average was 125 before meals and 155 after. The Byetta like appetite suppression is there in contrast to Victoza where there was none for me.

For my 12 hour flight, I used the Byetta travel pack which has a couple of refrigerated cold packs and easily holds one of the weekly "kits". This I put into a light weight insulated lunch bag. I figugured that I could always add zip-lock bags with ice into the insulated bag if I thought it was getting too warm. According to my thermometer, it was around 60F inside the pouch after arriving at my hotel.

So far, so good.

23 Apr 2012
To: RM_in_AK [#25] 23 Apr 2012

Does Bydureon have the same temperature requirements as regular Byetta? Do you have to keep it refrigerated before you mix it? It's great you are doing so well on it. Good luck with it.

23 Apr 2012
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#27] 1 May 2012

quote: Sue (SUEFIRST50)
Does Bydureon have the same temperature requirements as regular Byetta? Do you have to keep it refrigerated before you mix it? It's great you are doing so well on it. Good luck with it.

Yes. 36F to 77F I believe. I don't have the box handy right at the moment. So traveling with it is still the same hassle. And you have to use it immediately after mixing or else it could clump up and clog the needle. The needle is also a much fatter than the ones I've used for Byetta and Victoza.

What I've wondered about is what exactly needs to be refrigerated? The vial of powder or the syringe?

1 May 2012

Good news - my endocrinologist has approved Bydureon, and the prescription has been sent to my mail-order pharmacy. Now I just have to wait a while to receive the medication. Hopefully I will be able to start taking the Byduren within a week or so.

Question - what have you found to be the best day/time to take a weekly shot, and why? e.g. is it better on the weekends, in the evening, or ????

Also - anyone found any interesting tips to make taking the larger shot easier? e.g. - like pinching up some flesh before inserting the needle, or ????

Thanks,

1 May 2012
To: RM_in_AK [#29] 2 May 2012

I doubt the needle needs to be refrigerated but in any case it sounds like it's just as much a pain to use or even more so with the mixing. I once had to do that with a medication I was on and found it a little bothersome. I don't mind injecting twice a day and I wouldn't want to use a thicker needle so for now I don't plan to make any changes but who knows about in the future?

2 May 2012
To: Mark_in_MO [#31] 2 May 2012

Mark_in_MO,

In my very limited experience, one time was after dinner and the other was before dinner. With the after dinner one, I felt queasy for an hour or so just as I did with Byetta if I ate too much. No such feeling with the before dinner shot.

The fatter needle really does make a bigger hole and actually bleeds. That rarely happened with the tiny pen needles. I'm open to suggestions...

2 May 2012
To: Sue (SUEFIRST50) [#33] 3 May 2012

Hi Sue,

I also don't mind injecting Byetta twice a day, after 2X daily for more than 5 years it is just a regular routine. The only time it can be a pain is when you are traveling for an extended timeframe or you simply travel a lot.

However, my endocrinologist wants me to switch to Bydureon because the overall diabetes control with Bydureon is better than Byetta across the board; including much better blood-glucose control, significantly improved reduction in A1c (apparently due to having the exenitide in your system round the clock vs. the relatively short half-life of the original Byetta), and even some additional appetite control. Apparently the initial side effects are also generally less with Bydureon than with Byetta.

I have not used Bydureon yet, but I did inspect one of the needles in the endo's office, and it is only a little bit bigger...about the same size as would be used to give you any medical injection. Thus a small amount of blood is probably likely, but that can also happen with the little Byetta needles when you hit a capillary bleeder. The slightly larger needle will not bother me - I have been donating blood to the Red Cross for years and the blood-donation needles are MUCH larger than the Bydureon needle.

2 May 2012
To: RM_in_AK [#35] 2 May 2012

Hi Richard,

I am not sure there is much you can do about the bleeding. Basically I would treat it like the doctors/nurses do when they give you a shot - immediately put pressure on the injection site when you withdraw the needle (with a clean cotton ball or a clean tissue) and hold the pressure for a few seconds. Usually it only takes a few seconds for the blood to clot on a small hole like that. My only concern would be if you are taking a blood thinner, could there be an issue with the larger needle?

I appreciate the input on the shot timing (don't worry about it being somewhat limited - I don't think anyone has a lot of experience!). It is curious that you had a bit of nausea with the shot after eating. I would have thought before and THEN eating would be more likely to cause nausea (e.g. like taking a Byetta shot and then eating too much). I was thinking Sunday evening would be best for me (I guess before dinner), and if I am traveling into town, I would just plan to take the shot late in the day before I go to bed.

Oh well, lots of new things to try out. ;-)

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-73

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum