Full Version: FDA Approves Byetta use with Insulin

26 Oct 2011
To: Mark_in_MO [#1] 30 Oct 2011

Well, it is nice to see that what I began doing in 2005 has finally been approved. First I was on Lantus and Byetta, then I added Humalog to the mix, (Be careful when using Humalog and Byetta-----it can be exciting).

Suzan

30 Oct 2011
To: ALL

Well Suzan,

Surely you did not expect the FDA to approve any drug applications ahead of those uses already having been in use for years? ;-)

30 Oct 2011
To: ALL

Hope springs eternal that the FDA will speed up the process of approval for new diabetes stuff. The Animas Ping pump is still awaiting approval for integration with Dexcom CGMS, In Europe, Animas already has such an integrated pump for sale. sigh

Suzan

7 Jan 2012
To: Suzan [#3] 7 Jan 2012

Hello Suzan
i am so worried that my doctor has just put me on byetta and on reaging the leaflet it says that insulin diabetic should not use ?? im on levemir and humalog im losing confidence in the uk doctors ...do you have any suggestions for me please :S :S

7 Jan 2012
To: jacks (JACKIEMACKIE) [#9] 8 Jan 2012

I had been on Lantus (a long acting insulin like levimer) for awhile before my doctor put me on Byetta. I was also on Humalog when I started using Byetta. There are many people on Byetta and insulin. But there is a warning: be sure to eat not too long after taking both Humalog and Byetta.
I could take Byetta and not eat for awhile, but in combination I ate within 10 to 15 minutes. If I waited longer I was in danger of a low, so be sure to have glucose tabs or some other form of fast acting sugar with you.
I don't know about just Lantus, or Levimer, and Byetta. Maybe with the basal (slow acting) insulin, there is no problem.
But fear not, just watch how you react until you learn your system. Write me if I can answer any other question.

Suzan

8 Jan 2012
To: Suzan [#11] 8 Jan 2012

hi suzan
thankyou so much for your info it helps me loads ... i dont know if you could answer this question too my doctor has told me to use byetta just once a day before lunch ?? which i did yesterday (NO HUMALOG) ?? , i did this yesterday, then when i did a blood test 2 hours after my sugar was 30.5 so im thinking why ?? should i be doing humalog as well x ?? . This cant be doing my body any good ive been running high bloods since before christmas so im really concerned..... Maybe you know but thanks somuch
Jackie :-)

9 Jan 2012
To: jacks (JACKIEMACKIE) [#13] 9 Jan 2012

Hi Jackie,
I am not a doctor and have no idea of why he wants you to take it just once a day before lunch with no Humalog. Was the Humalog working for you before the Byetta? Why does he want you to take Byetta instead of insulin? As for your lunch reading of 30, your system of measurement is different so I don't know how high that is.
Again, I am not medically trained and I cannot advise you but only tell you what I have done. The Byetta "rules" are to take it twice a day always before meals, right before or up to 45 minutes (I think). I have taken it after I started eating and, for several months, I took it three times a day. Sometimes I have taken the Byetta just after eating. It helps increase the efficiency of the insulin.
If you decide to try taking the insulin along with the Byetta, just remember that doing so can lead to 'fun and games', be careful and have glucose tabs handy.

Suzan

9 Jan 2012
To: Suzan [#15] 9 Jan 2012

Hi Suzan, I think you multiply by 18, which gets to over 500. Really high, if I'm correct, huh?

9 Jan 2012
To: toneylee in VA (TONEYLEE) [#17] 10 Jan 2012

Hi Tony,
If I were over 500, I would freak-out. I haven't been at that level since I was diagnosed and I never want to feel that again.

Suzan

12 Jul 2012
To: Suzan [#19] 13 Jul 2012

That is some great news because i get my byetta from mexico. But its alot cheaper in mexico than here.

Show messages:  1-2  3-21

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2019 Project Beehive Forum